- As I head home on a hot Friday, it's time to get my groove on. ♬ 'Who Is He And What Is He To You' - Ndegéocello, Me'Shell ♪ 22 hours ago
- It's a Blues Traveler kind of morning. ♬ 'Fallible' - Blues Traveler ♪ moby.to/sdix3t 3 days ago
- This evening commute weather has got me in Sade mood. ♬ 'Kiss Of Life' - Sade ♪ moby.to/v31llt 4 days ago
- It's a Stevie Wonder night. #SmileOnMyFace 1 week ago
- Heading to have tea with the Mayor. 1 week ago
Politics & Pop Culture from a homocon.
Tag Archives: ICM Registry
March 19, 2011Posted by on
It’s finally here! Or coming soon (pun intended).
This week, after years of debate, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) gave what WaPo is calling, “the green light to the virtual red-light district.” The approval grants ICM Registry’s .XXX web suffix with the same rights as .com, .net, .co.uk and other top level domains (TLDs).
While registrars will set their own end user pricing, .XXX domains will wholesale for around $60 per domain. They will likely be available for purchase within the next three months.
But before you rush out to get whitehouse.xxx, know that registry operators are obligated to set aside a number of names designated by ICANN. In addition, they will set aside certain geographic, culturally significant and other names.
But not everyone is smelling the roses for dedicated porn URLs. The Obama Administration and some foreign nations will claim that the domain’s offensive material will only encourage oppressive regimes to block .xxx entirely. And then, of course, there are the morality cops.
So far, the only official Obama Administration response is,
“We are disappointed that ICANN ignored the clear advice of governments worldwide, including the US. This decision goes against the global public interest, and it will open the door to more Internet blocking by governments and undermine the stability and security of the Internet.”
— Assistant Commerce Secretary Lawrence Strickling
For everything you would want to know about the new TLDs, you can visit the ICM Registry.