- RT @StonewallBllrds: Get thyself to @NelliesDC for our Kick off Happy Hour! Tonight, 7:30-10:30. Teams will pick up their t-shirts for the … 21 hours ago
- Sigh. Another great one gone. Maurice White of Earth, Wind & Fire dies. rollingstone.com/music/news/mau… 21 hours ago
- Sad thing is they all do it. | RT @gwenifill Love when pols say they hate polls, then cite the ones they like. 1 day ago
- RT @FoxNews: .@brithume: "@RickSantorum doesn’t hurt @marcorubio by endorsing him, but I don’t think it makes much difference.” https://t.c… 1 day ago
- Santorum endorsing Marco over Cruz is an indictment. Even the ahole thinks Cruz is a bigger ahole. 1 day ago
Politics & Pop Culture from a homocon.
I’ve Got My Health
December 11, 2012Posted by on
Health-wise, today is a pretty fantastic day! Had my annual checkup this morning. My blood pressure was an astounding 122 over 80. I say astounding for those who don’t recall last summer, I was in the hospital for what turned out to be severe stage 3 of hypertension.
My good friend Patrick P took me to the hospital where I was quickly admitted after being triaged. What I thought was a major asthma attack turned out to me being diagnosed with the beginning stages of heart disease. A blood pressure level of 198 over 93 proved that. I had been misdiagnosed a few years earlier with asthma.
Last November, I saw a new doctor and a nutritionist. And together, we’ve worked a path towards a healthier life. No fads. No diets. But a change in lifestyle.
I’m not going to tell you that I have been 100 percent committed to this change. Nor will I say that I have not cheated or followed every restriction. But I am eating much healthier. I’ve cut down on my drinking (very hard). And as evident from my runkeeper.com posts, I get my exercise by walking all the time.
With tonight’s walk to and from the RNC headquarters for a holiday party, I hit an amazing milestone. I recorded my first walk on November 25, 2011. That was for 3.31 miles. With tonight’s 4.35 walk, I have officially walked 501 miles in 54 weeks! Cue up that contagious song from Benny and Joon by the Proclaimers. I’m down 43 pounds, my BMI has dropped by over 4 points, and my blood pressure is perfect. I still smoke too many cigars, but that’s not gonna change anytime soon.
But as I conclude the year, I revel in the knowledge that I’m much healthier than when I started.