- RT @RailTransitOPS: 1:00P Update: #WMATA is continuing to single track at #DupontCircle via the #ShadyGrove track Train delays are in exce… 1 week ago
- AVOID the red line if you can! Something’s going on between Dupont and Farr North. They are single tracking. #mess. @unsuckdcmetro 1 week ago
- About to watch Thomas Crown Affair for the first time. The original version. 2 weeks ago
- RT @dcfireems: Congratulations to the "Alley Rats", Engine 21 in @ItsAdamsMorgan, celebrating 109 years of dedicated service to the Distric… 3 weeks ago
- CityPaper staff balked when there was talk of a conservative buying the paper. Now, with no perspective buyer, curr… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 month ago
Politics & Pop Culture from a homocon.
Sen. Collins Signs on to Legislation Supporting Binational LGBT Families
September 19, 2012Posted by on
Senator Susan Collins Becomes First Republican to Sign On to Legislation Supporting Binational LGBT Families
(Washington, DC) – Senator Susan Collins (R-ME) is once again proving her mettle as a leader for LGBT families, today becoming the first Republican to co-sponsor the Uniting American Families Act, which will allow Americans the same ability to sponsor permanent same-sex partners for immigration purposes.
“This legislation would simply update our nation’s immigration laws to treat binational couples equally,” Senator Susan Collins said. “More than two dozen countries recognize same-sex couples for immigration purposes. This important civil rights legislation would help prevent committed, loving families from being forced to choose between leaving their family or leaving their country.”
“Log Cabin Republicans are grateful to Senator Collins for continuing to be the tip of the spear as a Republican fighting for LGBT families. The Uniting American Families Act is a vital piece of legislation for many in our community who for too long have been forced to choose between their love of country, and the loves of their lives,” said Log Cabin Republicans Executive Director R. Clarke Cooper. “With no ability to sponsor their partners, Americans are being forced abroad, taking their tax base, their talent, and enterprise to the more than 25 countries that offer residency for lesbian and gay partners. The Uniting American Families Act would allow Americans to sponsor their permanent partners for residency, benefiting both these American citizens and the companies which employ them. Log Cabin is proud to support the Uniting American Families Act, and we are committed to continuing our partnership with our allies at Immigration Equality to send Senator Collins the reinforcements she needs to make this bill a reality.”
Former Republican Congressman Jim Kolbe added, “I’m very pleased that Senator Collins has agreed to co-sponsor the United American Families Act. As an individual whose own relationship would be personally affected by the adoption of this legislation, I am hopeful Senator Collin’s sponsorship will encourage other Republicans in the House and Senate to add their names as co-sponsors.”