- He was trying to save face on news the councils were disintegrating. Strategy Forum planned to inform the WH b4 making announcement public. 3 days ago
- RT @DougHeye: After that Trump press conference, I don't know how I can tell any minority why they should vote Republican. 3 days ago
- 2 days ago, he says he has tons of CEOs wanting to join. Now he disbands business advisory councils after more CEOs quit. 3 days ago
- I will still champion conservative principles. I'll still fervently support LCRs. I'll return when you're gone. And pick up the pieces. 3/3 3 days ago
- You are giving aid & comfort to these assholes. I just can't anymore. As long as you are the leader of the GOP, I will not be a member. 2/3 3 days ago
Politics & Pop Culture from a homocon.
Free, Free. Set Them Free.
July 27, 2012Posted by on
At lunch today, I heard an old favorite of mine from Sting. It was actually his first solo hit after leaving The Police. The song is appropriate today because on most Fridays, I celebrate #80sFridays, where I post lyrics to popular songs from the 80s on Twitter and Facebook, taking requests along the way.
It allows me and my friends a chance to stroll down amnesia lane. Plus, many of the songs from the 80s are timeless and much better than some of the crap that’s put out today.
Sting’s “If You Love Somebody Set Them Free” is also appropriate for me because I have recently had to reevaluate certain friendships.
The song also reminds me of a particular monologue from my favorite movie drag queen, Madea.
“Some people are meant to come into your life for a lifetime, some for only a season and you got to know which is which. And you’re always messing up when you mix those seasonal people up with lifetime expectations. I put everybody that comes into my life in the category of a tree. Some people are like leaves on a tree. When the wind blows, they’re over there… wind blow that way they over here… they’re unstable. When the seasons change they wither and die, they’re gone. That’s alright. Most people are like that, they’re not there to do anything but take from the tree and give shade every now and then. That’s all they can do. But don’t get mad at people like that, that’s who they are. That’s all they were put on this earth to be. A leaf. Some people are like a branch on that tree. You have to be careful with those branches too, cause they’ll fool you. They’ll make you think they’re a good friend and they’re real strong but the minute you step out there on them, they’ll break and leave you high and dry.
“But if you find two or three people in your life that’s like the roots at the bottom of that tree you are blessed. Those are the kind of people that aren’t going nowhere. They aren’t worried about being seen, nobody has to know that they know you, they don’t have to know what they’re doing for you but if those roots weren’t there, that tree couldn’t live. A tree could have a hundred million branches but it only takes a few roots down at the bottom to make sure that tree gets everything it needs. When you get some roots, hold on to them but the rest of it… just let it go. Let folks go. If Somebody wants to walk out you’re life, LET THEM GO!” – Madea, from Madea Goes to Jail