- It seems just weeks ago newly elected French President Macron was riding high on approval & Americans feigning over… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 5 hours ago
- Just heard @CarlCameronFOX is retiring after 22 years. 😢 #CampaignCarl is the best!!! Ran into him at many political events over the years. 21 hours ago
- He was trying to save face on news the councils were disintegrating. Strategy Forum planned to inform the WH b4 making announcement public. 1 week ago
- RT @DougHeye: After that Trump press conference, I don't know how I can tell any minority why they should vote Republican. 1 week ago
- 2 days ago, he says he has tons of CEOs wanting to join. Now he disbands business advisory councils after more CEOs quit. 1 week ago
Politics & Pop Culture from a homocon.
That Dee-lux Apartment in the Sky
July 25, 2012Posted by on
Last night, I learned that the actor who played one of my most beloved characters on television in the 70s and 80s passed away. Sherman Hensley (1938-2012) originated the role of George Jefferson on All in the Family, and went on to star in the most successful of seven spins-offs — The Jeffersons.
For eleven years, I would anticipate George Jefferson strutting into or out of a scene, yelling for or arguing with his wife, “Weezie,” (Isabel Sanford) and ALWAYS fighting with their maid, Florence (Marla Gibbs) and neigbor, Helen (Roxy Roker — mother of Lenny Kravitz). Hensley would later star in the church comedy Amen.
Today, in an age of few TV theme songs, I doubt I can find anyone over the age of 30 who doesn’t know all of the words to that Ja’net Dubois opening, Will Smith even references the song in his 1998 mega hit, Gettin’ Jiggy Wit’ It. (Now they give it to me nice and easy/Since I moved up like George and Weezie).
It was on this show that I first heard the iconic song, Georgia on my Mind. It was during an episode when they first introduced Weezie’s sister, Georgia.
And for good measure…