- What's a little rain... https://t.co/yPVVr4UNPR 10 minutes ago
- RT @AdamsMorganDay: Did you participate in Adams Morgan Day this year? We'd like your feed back - the good & the bad! https://t.co/c8dhkDPA… 14 hours ago
- Former Speaker @newtgingrich giving keynote address to @LogCabinGOP. https://t.co/TO7s7908bl 2 days ago
- Rachel Hoff, the first openly gay delegate to serve on the RNC Platform committee @LogCabinGOP https://t.co/7aeQZVxFJw 2 days ago
- Gregory T Angelo takes the stage. @LogCabinGOP https://t.co/wkJzqjPVFl 2 days ago
Politics & Pop Culture from a homocon.
Chuck Brown, Donna Summer – GONE!
May 17, 2012Posted by on
We seem to be losing music royalty left and right! Last night we found out about the passing of the God-Father of Go Go Chuck Brown. And today while out to lunch, I heard of the passing of the Queen of Disco, Donna Summer.
Most people, unless you are into the DC music scene, aren’t familiar with Chuck Brown or Go Go-style music — an early form of hip-hop. Go Go style gathered wide-spread notice in 1988, when E.U. busted out with Da Butt, from the School Daze soundtrack. Then his signature track was sampled in Nelly’s 2002 mega hit, Hot in Herre (“I feel like bustin’ loose, and I feel like touchin’ you”).
To put it in context, Chuck Brown is to DC was Stevie Ray Vaughan was to Austin, TX.
Then there is Donna Summer. I don’t even know where to begin. I first fell in love with her music with the soundtrack from Thank God It’s Friday, a little known 70s movie with an amazing musical line up – Donna Summer, Diana Ross, Thelma Houston, just to name a few.
Then there was the video-fave She Works Hard for the Money. But of course, going back in time, there were the greats like MacArthur Park, Love to Love You Baby, Hot Stuff, and Bad Girls. Whew! That girl could sing!!! She had a couple of comeback hits with This Time I Know It’s for Real (1989), I Will Go with You (Con te partirò) (1999), and Stamp Your Feet (2008).
Both Chuck Brown and Donna Summer sure did work hard for their money. Rest in peace.