- Day 2 begins.... #MG18 https://t.co/JcvlPYHYt6 1 week ago
- Chillin’ in Bywater waiting for some ribs. #MG18 #NOLA @ The Joint instagram.com/p/Be6axOClA-K/ 1 week ago
- RT @RailTransitOPS: 1:00P Update: #WMATA is continuing to single track at #DupontCircle via the #ShadyGrove track Train delays are in exce… 1 month ago
- AVOID the red line if you can! Something’s going on between Dupont and Farr North. They are single tracking. #mess. @unsuckdcmetro 1 month ago
- About to watch Thomas Crown Affair for the first time. The original version. 1 month ago
Politics & Pop Culture from a homocon.
DC GOP Event with Rep. Jo Ann Emerson
November 30, 2011Posted by on
Last evening, I attended a wondeful reception put on by the Advisory Council of the DC Republican Committee. It was at the lovely home of Linwood and Connie Tipton on Capitol Hill. The featured guest was Missouri Congresswoman Jo Ann Emerson.
Jo Ann, as she insisted I call her, is the first Republican woman to represent Missouri in Congress. She serves as the Chairman of the Financial Services and General Government Appropriations Subcommittee, which has jurisdiction over the District of Columbia and its budget. Jo Ann has long been an advocate of keeping Congress out of DC’s interal governance and management as much as possible.
One of the key issues she touched upon in her talk last night, was passing a one year bill that would give complete control of the DC budget (minus dollars for abortions) to the DC Council. This would allow for the District to not be held hostage in the instance of any budget stops or continuing resolutions at the federal level.
Many locally will balk at the restrictive abortion language that she is including, but this is a win and a definite move in the direction of local autonomy. To use the Voltairian phrase often quoted by the President, we should not let the perfect become the enemy of the good.