- Day 2 begins.... #MG18 https://t.co/JcvlPYHYt6 1 week ago
- Chillin’ in Bywater waiting for some ribs. #MG18 #NOLA @ The Joint instagram.com/p/Be6axOClA-K/ 1 week ago
- RT @RailTransitOPS: 1:00P Update: #WMATA is continuing to single track at #DupontCircle via the #ShadyGrove track Train delays are in exce… 1 month ago
- AVOID the red line if you can! Something’s going on between Dupont and Farr North. They are single tracking. #mess. @unsuckdcmetro 1 month ago
- About to watch Thomas Crown Affair for the first time. The original version. 1 month ago
Politics & Pop Culture from a homocon.
August 23, 2011Posted by on
This morning, I took a few minutes to venture down to the National Mall in Washington, DC, to get a quick look at the new Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial. Not only is it historic, with it being both the first monument to a non-president AND the first dedicated to a black person (I don’t like the term African-American), but it is also magnificent. Bayard Rustin would be proud. Of course, I snapped a few pictures.
What is personally amazing is the location. For years, my place of solace, where I go to reflect, or to relax, or to smoke a good cigar is a bench on the Tidal Basin facing Mr. Jefferson, with Mr. Lincoln at my back. Now when I sit at that same spot, I will have Dr. King looking over my shoulder. I couldn’t be more proud!