- RT @RailTransitOPS: 1:00P Update: #WMATA is continuing to single track at #DupontCircle via the #ShadyGrove track Train delays are in exce… 6 days ago
- AVOID the red line if you can! Something’s going on between Dupont and Farr North. They are single tracking. #mess. @unsuckdcmetro 6 days ago
- About to watch Thomas Crown Affair for the first time. The original version. 2 weeks ago
- RT @dcfireems: Congratulations to the "Alley Rats", Engine 21 in @ItsAdamsMorgan, celebrating 109 years of dedicated service to the Distric… 3 weeks ago
- CityPaper staff balked when there was talk of a conservative buying the paper. Now, with no perspective buyer, curr… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 month ago
Politics & Pop Culture from a homocon.
EFN is Closed? No EFN Way!
August 17, 2010Posted by on
It seems that EFN Lounge and Motley Bar, legally known as Wami, LLC, is the latest DC gay bar to bite the dust. Although officially, MOVA is simply “moving.” It’s just that, no one knows why just yet. But word on the street is that a vibrant whipper snapper of a reporter is on top of it this latest closing.
It appears that the staff of EFN was alerted to the fact yesterday that the bar was closing –wait for it… — via EMAIL. That’s just EFN lame! And no severance, from what I hear.
When I headed over to their website, I got the response, “Something went wrong.” Apparently so! Although, http://www.motleybar.com/ is still active…for now. One of the original owners, Bill Gray, said on Facebook last night that he hasn’t been “involved at EFN for a couple weeks.” Suspiciously, that post has since been removed.
As many of you know, EFN took over the space previously known as BeBar just over a year ago. On May 9, BeBar closed its doors. But one week later, The EFN Lounge and Motley Bar was unveiled in its stead.
And as some of you will recall, late last month, the DC Alcoholic Beverage Regulation Administration shut down EFN for a week due to under age drinking. I can’t help but wonder if that has anything to do with this latest revelation.
Perhaps one of the reasons is that people stopped patronizing the place. Last fall, EFN made a big push into the local party circuit scene. They introduced us to CODE last Labor Day weekend, a monthly fetish attire party (now at Green Lantern) and brought us ActiveDuty, a weekly gay military and veteran’s night happy hour last November (now at Nellie’s). Surely their bottle service wasn’t a cash cow. I mean, I would never spend $500 for a table with a ‘complementary bottle’ at EFN, or any other DC gay bar for that matter.
It looks like the DCBearScene was left in the learch, in spite of the fact that one of their own was a bartender at EFN. They tweeted and posted on their website last night that EFN was closing, and to check back with them for a new location for their (monthly?) parties.
And others are in for a rude awakening. There was supposed to be a Labor Day White Party at EFN on September 6th. That ain’t happening. I await my friends at The Blade and MW to do a better job than me and get to the bottom of this story. Now get back to work!