- RT @RailTransitOPS: 1:00P Update: #WMATA is continuing to single track at #DupontCircle via the #ShadyGrove track Train delays are in exce… 1 week ago
- AVOID the red line if you can! Something’s going on between Dupont and Farr North. They are single tracking. #mess. @unsuckdcmetro 1 week ago
- About to watch Thomas Crown Affair for the first time. The original version. 2 weeks ago
- RT @dcfireems: Congratulations to the "Alley Rats", Engine 21 in @ItsAdamsMorgan, celebrating 109 years of dedicated service to the Distric… 3 weeks ago
- CityPaper staff balked when there was talk of a conservative buying the paper. Now, with no perspective buyer, curr… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 month ago
Politics & Pop Culture from a homocon.
What’s Really Going on with MOVA?
July 23, 2010Posted by on
To pick up on yesterday’s post — Breaking: MOVA Out of Business — which drew close to a one thousand hits, I’ve uncovered some more information on the MOVA situation.
A second source tells me that MOVA is moving as of September to 12th and U. But the reason isn’t necessarily because the owner, Babak Movahedi, is out of money. It is primarily because the owner of the property (or at least the holder of the lease) has been in landlord/ tenant court against MOVA and its parent company, Logan Circle Spectrum, LLC.
My source tell me that there are significant past due taxes on the business and Movahedi hasn’t been paying his rent, putting a financial burden on the lease holder, who is a major figure within the LGBT community.
A third source tells me that Logan Circle Spectrum is in serious financial trouble, and confirms that staff are walking out the door faster than MOVA can hire them. He goes on to say that Movahedi has pissed off promoters, community groups, and many members of the drag community. And you don’t want to piss off a drag queen!
Instead of finding a new location in DC, perhaps Movahedi should focus on his Miami location, which seems to be doing well. But I can’t help but wonder if he’s paying his taxes and rent down there.
As one of my friends likes to tweet, #thisisnotsouthbeach.