- Just had the best @Uber_DC ride EVER! Jane was and other passengers were so much fun! https://t.co/VIoQW9rpb7 8 hours ago
- After a long effing week (it's not over...) instagram.com/p/BVtZVLNFVAk/ 1 day ago
- Quote of the day: "Speech may not be banned on the ground that it expresses ideas that offend." Justice Samuel Alito 5 days ago
- I hate it when I agree with Eleanor! dcist.com/2017/06/eleano… 1 week ago
- Hey Brianne, looks like you're the only Councilmember who is riding in a car. Everyone else is walking. @CapitalPrideDC 2 weeks ago
Politics & Pop Culture from a homocon.
Morning Shot: April 28, 2010
April 28, 2010Posted by on
- Birthday Shots
Today’s shots go out to movie star hotties Jessica Alba (Dark Angel, Fantastic Four) and Penelope Cruz (Vanilla Sky, Sex & the City 2), late night talker Jay Leno, and our fifth President James Monroe.
- This Day in History
On this day in 1945, “Il Duce,” Benito Mussolini, and his mistress, Clara Petacci, are shot by Italian partisans who had captured the couple as they attempted to flee to Switzerland. The 61-year-old deposed former dictator of Italy was established by his German allies as the figurehead of a puppet government in northern Italy during the German occupation toward the close of the war. As the Allies fought their way up the Italian peninsula, defeat of the Axis powers all but certain, Mussolini considered his options. Not wanting to fall into the hands of either the British or the Americans, and knowing that the communist partisans, who had been fighting the remnants of roving Italian fascist soldiers and thugs in the north, would try him as a war criminal, he settled on escape to a neutral country.
Rep. Chaka Fattah (D-PA) is proposing a “transaction tax,” which he claims will eliminate $12.8 billion in federal debt within five to seven years. This is a one percent surcharge on any and all transactions, except for stock trades. To make it not so regressive, Mr. Fattah adds a one percent rebate on income taxes to anyone making less than $250,000 per year when they file each year. Haphazardly, the Pennsylvania congressman equates it to an ATM fee. Will Democrats ever learn?
- Pelosi & DADT
According to the DC Agenda (soon to once again be the Washington Blade), House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has affirmed to hold a vote this year on DADT. Pelosi spokesperson said “It is the Speaker’s intention that a vote will be taken this year on [DADT] in the House.” Ok JS, you know I’ll be checking in with you at least once a month to see if the Speaker is keeping her word.