- Once again, another 4-1 victory for Team Rock Out with Your Chalk Out! Another week alone in first place! #StonewallBilliards 8 hours ago
- I think we're done. instagram.com/p/4a5a7JGVnw/ 3 days ago
- Celebrating #MarriageEquality with a #MonteCristo from the island south of Miami & a skyyvodka tonic.… instagram.com/p/4aukwuGVnk/ 3 days ago
- This is about to happen! Major celebration time #MonteCristo instagram.com/p/4arsMVmVh6/ 3 days ago
- Just one reason I love @SECupp: CNN’s S.E. Cupp Gets Choked Up Over Marriage Equality Ruling | FishbowlDC adweek.com/fishbowldc/cnn… 3 days ago
Politics & Pop Culture from a homocon.
Dear Senate GOP: Stay out of DC Politics
March 24, 2010Posted by on
Back in January on these pages, I wrote a post about a report from the Washington Post that congressional Republicans had filed an amicus brief in DC Superior Court calling for a voter referendum on whether to legalize marriage equality in the District.
In that post, I respectfully asked congressional Republicans to BUTT OUT! I concluded with State’s rights and local control are tenets of our party. HONOR THAT!
Today, in the wake of the Senate health care reform bill becoming law, and the changes that are currently being made to it via reconciliation, that same issue has now reared its ugly head in the United States Senate.
As I first read in the DCist, “The New York Times has started posting all the Senate Republican amendments to the health care reform bill, and, surprise, surprise, one of them concerns the District of Columbia’s same-sex marriage law.”
The Bennett amendment – SA #3568 – is said to protect the Democratic process and the right of the people of the District of Columbia to define marriage.
So tell me, Senator Bennett, is the Democratic process not at work when a city council, duly elected by the people of its city, passes a law in which you are in favor? Wait! Don’t answer that. I suppose I already know your answer.
Again, to Republican leaders I say, that as a member of the DC Republican Committee and Vice President of the DC Log Cabin Republicans, I respectfully ask congressional Republicans to BUTT OUT! State’s rights and local control are a tenet of our party. Honor that!