- WTF South Texas?! 1 week ago
- Ho hum. My @Uber_DC pass is not a good deal this month. :-( 2 weeks ago
- Not even a last name. Well, at least they could have spelled my other name correctly... https://t.co/ognv9VFL3n 2 weeks ago
- The thing I look forward to the most on Halloween is to what @ActuallyNPH and his family dress up as! This year, on… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 weeks ago
- Woke up to a random girl in my bed. First time THAT’S ever happened!!! #RoommateChronicles #NotWaltersRoom 2 weeks ago
Politics & Pop Culture from a homocon.
Whipping the Health Care Count
March 3, 2010Posted by on
Jack Tapper, ABC’s News Senior White House Correspondent is doing a series of blog posts whip counting the health care bill in the House of Representatives.
And he is making some very valid points. First, let discuss what we know. 220 members of Congress voted for the bill when brought to the House for a vote back on November 8, 2009.
As Tapper points out, since then, four yes votes are no more: Rep. Joseph Cao (R-LA) has said he won’t vote for final passage, Rep. Neil Abercrombie (D-HI) retired to run for governor, Rep. Robert Wexler (D-FL) also retired, and Rep. John Murtha (D-PA) died.
Rep. Nathan Deal (R-GA) is retiring early to run for governor in his state. But he was already a no vote.
Today, Rep. Michael Arcuri (D-NY) has said that he is inclined to change his vote from a yes, to a no.
That means that the magic number to pass the Senate bill is 216. But Pelosi now only has 215, or so we think.
A Republican staffer told me late last week that the Speaker has 10 pocket votes – people who voted against the bill last time when it was obvious that there were the votes to pass it.
And then there is Rep. Bart Stupak (D-MI) who is vehemently opposed to the Senate language on abortion. And there are other pro-life Dems who may follow him over to the no side.
As the President and Democratic leaders continue to blame the GOP for stalling health care reform, it is becoming more clear to the American people that the Dems can’t even herd their own cats. This is going to be fun to watch.