- WTF South Texas?! 1 week ago
- Ho hum. My @Uber_DC pass is not a good deal this month. :-( 2 weeks ago
- Not even a last name. Well, at least they could have spelled my other name correctly... https://t.co/ognv9VFL3n 2 weeks ago
- The thing I look forward to the most on Halloween is to what @ActuallyNPH and his family dress up as! This year, on… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 weeks ago
- Woke up to a random girl in my bed. First time THAT’S ever happened!!! #RoommateChronicles #NotWaltersRoom 2 weeks ago
Politics & Pop Culture from a homocon.
This Week with ?
December 10, 2009Posted by on
ABC’s This Week continues to suffer from an identity crises.
The perennial Sunday talk show for nearly thirty years is once again in search of a new name and a new anchor. George Stephanopoulos, who has been the show’s anchor since 2002, and been a panelist for the previous five, is packing up his bags and moving to New York City to co-anchor Good Morning America now that Diane Sawyer is doing the evening shift over at ABC World News.
For 15 years, This Week was anchored by the well respected David Brinkley, and carried his name on the show. Upon his retirement, panelist Sam Donaldson and Cokie Roberts took over in his place. But ‘This Week with Sam Donaldson and Cokie Roberts’ proved too long for TPTB and decided to shorten it to ‘This Week with Sam & Cokie’, which sadly, sounds like it should be running on PBS in between Sesame Street and the Electric Company.
If memory is correct, that iteration lasted only a year or so when the All Too Human scribe took over the reigns and it became ‘This Week with George Stephanopoulos.’
Now, who will become the new anchor? My money is on either Time Magazine alum Jay Carney, who currently serves as Biden’s Director of Communications, or CNN’s Fareed Zakaria. Or, if they want to stay within the ABC family, Jake Tapper is the perfect choice.