- Okay Lefties, here's a good line for you to use. Definitely gave me the lulz. twitter.com/ananavarro/sta… 1 day ago
- Asked a/b Sen McCaskil's comments, Sen McCain said "Joe Lieberman has more experience than all of my Dem colleagues combined so screw them!" 4 days ago
- Excellent choice! | Former FBI Head Mueller to Oversee Russia Probe 6 days ago
- Hey @DCCirculator, perhaps this why you're losing riders. #RushHour https://t.co/ioGtiH3I89 6 days ago
- Chaffetz has already announced his retirement, so he gives zero f!&ks. twitter.com/jasoninthehous… 6 days ago
Politics & Pop Culture from a homocon.
Lambda Rising Closing — Losing an Icon
December 6, 2009Posted by on
On Saturday, I met up with a friend for coffee at Starbucks. There being no room to sit inside, and with the season’s first snow fall, we decided to venture two blocks north and peruse the bookshelves of Lambda Rising, the premiere bookstore for gay DC. Lambda Rising has been serving the GLBT community in the nation’s capital for 35 years.
While there, we heard the very sad news that Lambda was closing it store soon after the new year. A patron nearby vocalized exactly what I was thinking at that moment – “first the Blade and now this?” The clerk quickly countered that the Blade had now become the DC Agenda.
I was happy to learn, after some quick digging, that Lambda was not closing because of hard financial times, but simply because its owners wanted to retire. You see, Deacon Maccubbin has been at the forefront of our push for civil rights. His name is often mentioned in the same breath as Frank Kameny, Del Martin and the likes.
Deacon created DC’s Gay Pride Day, which has become Capital Pride, of which I am a board member. What started out as a one-day community block party has turned into the fourth largest event of its kind in the US.
So I would like to applaud Deacon and Jim Bennett, his partner of 32 years for their incredible service to our city and our community. Thank you very much, and happy retirement!
You can read more on the closing of Lambda Rising in the DC Agenda.