- It's the last day of #CountdownToErasure ♬ ♬ 'Too Darn Hot' - Erasure ♪ twitpic.com/ebueiw 2 hours ago
- Come to me, cover me, hold me. Together we'll break these chains of love. #80sFriday 2 hours ago
- Gooood morning! Happy birthday edition (tomorrow) of #80sFriday! Today will be my absolute favorite songs & artists from the 80s 2 hours ago
- This morning I'm listening to The Abba-esque EP. #CountdownToErasure♬ 'Lay All Your Love On Me' - Erasure ♪ twitpic.com/ebt5lx 1 day ago
- Am I right? Am I wrong? Or am I just dreaming? ♬ 'Am I Right?' - Erasure ♪ 1 day ago
Politics & Pop Culture from a homocon.
Why JC Watts Won’t Be the Next RNC Chair
December 2, 2012Posted by on
I read a Politico posting this afternoon suggesting that former Congressman J.C. Watts may jump in the race for RNC Chairman next month. An interesting proposition.
But let’s look at a few basic facts. Mr. Watts says he is being “encouraged” by supporters to run. Who are these supporters? They don’t seem to be current members of the RNC. In fact, the article points out that Matt Pinnell, the Chairman of the Oklahoma Party and one of the 168 who will vote for the next RNC Chairman is backing Priebus for reelection.
While a cursory look at the RNC Rules does allow for a non-member to run for Chair or Vice-Chair, in order to be nominated, one must have the support of at least the majority vote of RNC members in each of three states in order to have his or her names placed in nomination. So where does he go for those initial votes if his home state chairman is supporting Priebus? And even if he were to get nominated, where does he get the votes? Preibus already has 130 of the 168 votes locked up.
I am not saying the Mr. Watts wouldn’t be a good chairman. But there is no groundswell within the voting membership of the RNC to replace Priebus with Watts, or anyone else, for that matter.
My belief is that in six weeks, down in Charlotte, Reince will be nominated and reelected by acclamation. I just don’t see any other outcome. But stranger things have happened.