- Just completed a 2.01 mi walk - Great first event tonight. rnkpr.com/a3968ky #RunKeeper 3 hours ago
- Just completed a 1.08 mi walk - Rain rain go away. rnkpr.com/a3925vx #RunKeeper 11 hours ago
- From RollCall: D.C. GOP Spotlights [Frederick] Douglass' Party ID rollcall.com/news/dc_gop_sp… … 15 hours ago
- Just completed a 1.18 mi walk - Just call me Kool Moe Dee. rnkpr.com/a38yzqs #RunKeeper 16 hours ago
- Just completed a 1.14 mi walk - Time to let my hair down. rnkpr.com/a38vdk5 #RunKeeper 1 day ago
Politics & Pop Culture from a homocon.
August 23, 2011Posted by on
This morning, I took a few minutes to venture down to the National Mall in Washington, DC, to get a quick look at the new Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial. Not only is it historic, with it being both the first monument to a non-president AND the first dedicated to a black person (I don’t like the term African-American), but it is also magnificent. Bayard Rustin would be proud. Of course, I snapped a few pictures.
What is personally amazing is the location. For years, my place of solace, where I go to reflect, or to relax, or to smoke a good cigar is a bench on the Tidal Basin facing Mr. Jefferson, with Mr. Lincoln at my back. Now when I sit at that same spot, I will have Dr. King looking over my shoulder. I couldn’t be more proud!